1 any of several forms of ulcerative skin disease
2 a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Centaurus
- lo͝o'pəs, /ˈluːpəs/, /"lu:p@s/
- A debilitating autoimmune disease which attacks the whole body, causing skin sores, pains throughout the body, lack of breath, and kidney and heart problems.
- Italian: lupus
EtymologyCognate with Sanskrit sc=Deva, Ancient Greek λύκος, Lithuanian vilkas. Possibly a borrowing from Osco-Umbrian where PIE *kʷ regularly gave /p/, or metathesis occurred because of a wolf taboo.
- A wolf
- Homo homini lupus est.
- Man is a wolf to man.
- Spanish: lobo
Lupus may refer to:
- Lupus anticoagulant, an antibody causing a delay in coagulation.
- Lupus, the common name for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or 'SLE'. When the term 'lupus' is used without modification, it usually means 'SLE' (especially in a medical context).
- Lupus pernio, a feature of sarcoidosis.
- Lupus vulgaris, a feature of cutaneous tuberculosis.
- Saint Lupus of Sens (Saint Loup)
- Saint Lupus of Troyes (Saint Loup) (d. 478)
- Lupus Servatus, Carolingian French Benedictine Abbot of Ferrieres and writer.
- Lupus I of Aquitaine
- Lupo II of Gascony (Lupus)
- Lupo III Centule of Gascony (Lupus)
- Giovanni Luppis, an officer of the Austrian Navy, who had the idea of the first self-propelled torpedo.
- Marco Lupis (1960- ), Italian journalist.
- Lupus, a character in The Roman Mysteries novels by Caroline Lawrence.
- Lupis http://www.fallingrain.com/world/RP/51/Lupis.html http://travelingluck.com/Asia/Philippines/Pangasinan/_1704975_Lupis.html#themap, a barangay of Binmaley, in Pangasinan province, Ilocos Region, (Philippines).
- Lupus, a town into Moniteau County, Missouri (U.S.A.)
- Saint-Loup (disambiguation page), name or part of the name of several communes in France
- Lupus, an astronomical constellation
- Toshiba Brave Lupus, a Japanese semi-pro rugby team
- Lupis (food), a sweet dessert from Indonesia.
lupus in Catalan: Lupus
lupus in German: Lupus
lupus in Spanish: Lupus
lupus in French: Lupus
lupus in Italian: Lupus
lupus in Dutch: Lupus
lupus in Polish: Lupus
lupus in Finnish: Lupus
lupus in Slovak: Lupus